HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I hope 2014 finds you well and excited for the year ahead. There are certainly things I want to accomplish this year–some of which I had hoped to do last year, but… oh well!
To kick things off this year, I want to start by announcing my Book of the Year for 2013. Yesterday I posted the titles in contention out of all the five-star books I read last year. Here’s a recap:
- SCARLET by Marissa Meyer
- UNRAVEL ME by Tahereh Mafi
- A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS by Khaled Hosseini
- THE 5TH WAVE by Rick Yancey
- SACRED GAMES by Gary Corby
- THE SHERLOCKIAN by Graham Moore
And the winner is . . .
What set this book apart was not the gorgeous writing (UNRAVEL ME, A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS, and THE 5TH WAVE are all beautifully-written books too), but other notable factors:
- It’s the second in the series, and yet it’s at least as good as the first.
- It was my pick of the month for March, a month where I gave five stars to five of the books I read. In other words, in a month where I read the most number of excellent books, it was my favorite. That says a lot.
- It left me wanting more. I’m truly looking forward to CRESS, the next in the series, coming out next month.
What do you consider the best book you read last year? Are there any books coming out in 2014 you’re really looking forward to (as if my TBR list isn’t big enough!)?