The Twelfth Doctor Announced!
At last, the cat’s out of the bag–officially. After weeks of rampant speculation from fans, and complete silence from the handful of people in-the-know, the BBC announced that The Twelfth Doctor will be…
I daresay a lot of people in the US will have no clue who he is, though Who fans might recognize him from “The Fires of Pompeii” where he played Caecilius. You can read his Wikipedia bio by clicking HERE.
Some interesting Who facts:
- At 55, he is the oldest Doctor to be cast in the role since The First Doctor, William Hartnell.
- He is the same age as William Hartnell when he was cast. [Rather a strange coincidence for this 50th Anniversary year!]
- Capaldi is a life-long fan of Doctor Who.
- Just like the last life-long fan to play the Doctor [i.e., David Tennant], he’s Scottish.
- In the movie “World War Z” he plays a WHO Doctor.
My thoughts: I’m excited. I’m glad they went older. It’s been a while since we’ve had an over-40 in the role, and there’s no reason why a 50+ year old can’t still be energetic and wacky. Jon Pertwee was in his fifties when he played the Doctor, and his was known for being a more James Bond, action-oriented take on the part. Just from the look of Peter Capaldi, I expect a mix of gravitas and twinkle-eyed humor, kind of a cross between Pertwee, Troughton, and Eccleston. But we’ll see. His first appearance as the Doctor will be the regeneration on December 25th. Then from Season 8 in 2014, the TARDIS will be his.
What are your thoughts about this casting?